Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Debt Shopping

So Brent and I went to a car dealership last Saturday. Why I'm not sure, because we don't need a car right now; we just wanted to look. So the salesman gives us his shpeel about how easy it is to buy a car even with bad credit, no credit; they can get us into something today. We let him know that we aren't buying today, just looking. The salesman gets the point eventually after I said a couple of times that we aren't buying anything today. Before we left he had us go into the floor manager just to let him know that he treated us well, which is obviously just another attempt to get us to buy. So we go inside to let this guy know that we aren't here to buy a car, I just wanted to sit in a pretty new car and daydream. When we get into the building and talk to this guy, he asks us our situation and we tell him that I am the only one working and Brent is in school. He asks what he is going into and we tell him he is in his third year of medical school. Then comes the whole, "Oh, you're going to be a doctor. So you will have plenty of money to pay for a car." After that we just threw out that we are thousands of dollars in debt right now and we aren't ready to add more to that total.

After leaving it really bothered me that anyone can go to a car dealership and drive away with a new car even though they can't afford it. If we wanted to, we could have driven away in a brand new car. Now I know that the car dealership people don't care because it is the banks problem after they sell a car, but I think there is something wrong with a society that feels that they need, and have to have, something that is beyond their capacity to pay for. In addition, there is something wrong with banks who would lend out money to people like Brent and I. Why is it that people have the mentality that it is okay to purchase something they can't afford? I know this is true with the housing market as well, and this is exactly why we there seems to be a crisis now, so why isn't anyone concerned with changing it? I'm not trying to be self righteous because I know that Brent and I are lucky to have loans that pay for his schooling and to be able to get a loan to pay for our condo, but does anyone else feel bothered by this 'I can buy anything I want' mentality?

11 comments:

Holly Dart said...

Yes. This really bothers me. Society, banks, and whatever else suckered people into buying more home than they can afford. Now everybody is paying for it- housing market is suffering, and, personally, because of new loan restrictions enacted during this crisis, our interest rate on our new home is higher. We are personally paying for the mistakes of lenders- they loaned money they shouldn't have. grr.

And now, despite all of this havoc, a car dealership thinks Brent and Bridgett look like reasonable candidates for a new car. what has this world come to?

Shelby said...

I agree completely. I feel lucky to have a father that taught me well to not buy something unless you have the cash to pay for it. If you put it on your credit card, you better have that same cash in one month when you are actually paying the credit card bill. I think people in Utah are especially bad with this concept (seeing as it is the highest rate of bancruptcy in the nation).

But by the way, what kind of fun cars did you look at and sit in? :)

Dede said...

I'm with you 100%. There is a mentality when people our age that they want every now! No, they can't save up and buy because that would mean they have to wait to get what they want. Anyway, this is a hot button of mine. Glad I'm not alone ;)

ali said...

Word. I'm still sore that I did the more expensive "safe" loan instead of the high-risk-screw-you-over loan that they're now thinking about doing loan forgiveness for. I was careful, and where did it get me?

And yet, I'm about to apply for more loans than I've ever needed. :( Plus, what's with wanting everything your parents have right right now? I think Utah has an especially unrealistic issue with this. We'll talk.

Tiffany said...

I totally agree! You are so right. I think the attitude of needing everything is getting worse too! It seems we "need" a new big tv, we "need" new cars and a big house. I don't care if other people have those, why should they care if I do? Have you seen those tv shows where they come in and "fix" people who can't control they're spending? It's very interesting. I love watching those, I don't know why.

allison said...

Oh man Bridgett, I couldn't agree more with this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter! I too (like Shelby) had a dad who taught me not to buy what you can't pay for in cash. Although I am guilty of racking up a little credit here and there, I try to keep it low. It is frustrating to see how all sales people care about is making money... can't trust anyone anymore eh?

ferardandy said...

you are alive!!! i'm glad you have posted some new stuff...i love that drawing of jason. and as for this post, yeah i don't think we will get any more loans except for matching hummers, a couple of four wheelers, a segway, a home theater with rows of lazy boys.....

Kim said...

That is crazy that they would try and talk you in to it that hard, obviously you couldn't afford it. I agree with you I think it's a huge problem in Utah. When you talk to our parents they would have never dreamed of having as much as all of us do at our age I think everyone needs to take a step back and stop wanting wanting wanting. Anyway I think I just blabbered but great post. And Fergie you make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

what kind of deal did he offer you when you told him brent's board score? jenn

Anonymous said...

I don't agree, and anyone who says anything about it can shut the hell up! I like being in debt! Just kidding, I do agree, It truely is amazing how easy it is to get a loan. -BM!

Anonymous said...

I'll take my ferrari to go, please.
Katrina