Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So Brent was hit by an Ambulance...






...a block from work on his way home. An Ambulance heading to a school bus accident outside of town t-boned brent while he was driving through a green light. He was downtown and the buildings are right up to the corners of the street so Brent didn't hear any sirens at all. The ambulance was going fast enough to do this to his car and then hit another car (that driver was sent to the hospital as well) that hit into yet another car.

They had to cut him out of the car and cut his clothes off. It was a really frightening experience to get a call that I needed to head to the ER immediately because Brent was involved in an accident. I had just finished feeding the sister missionaries and just thought that Brent had to work late. The drive to the hospital and then going into the room where he was waiting test results really tested my ability to keep calm and not loose it. No one told me anything, and when I entered the room, Brent was lying on a gurney with blankets covering him in a neck brace with blood oozing out underneath and out onto the pillow underneath.

We were very lucky in that his injuries could have been so much more severe. He did sustain a concussion that hopefully won't result in any permanent damage and a four inch gash on the back of his head. This Thanksgiving, I certainly am so thankful for the blessing of protection that Brent recieved that night.

R.I.P.
1997 Purple Honda Accord
We will miss you Honda with your champ of a heater and recently purchased new transmission. We had some good times with you: dating and getting married while in Logan, our only vehicle in SLC, and more recently, Brent's companion to an actual paying job everyday in Minnesota.


17 comments:

Dede said...

OH MY!!! I am SO glad he wasn't hurt more-I can't believe it. He was watched over for sure.

Josh M said...

Bridgett and Brent - Having spent ten years driving ambulances (with no accidents fortunately), I can say it sounds as if some negligence was involved here on the part of the driver of the ambulance. At a red light, an emergency vehicle is required by law to come to a complete stop before proceeding through the intersection. And they must yield to any cross traffic - it doesn't matter if the lights and sirens are on. They are also required to drive at "safe and prudent" speeds, although these may be above the posted limit. Sounds like the driver of that ambulance did none of the above. Laws vary from state to state, but those are pretty standard rules. Glad to hear Brent's all right. I bet that driver about passed out when he not only hit several cars, but found out Brent is a doctor!

Lacey Jane said...

Wow, Bridge... I'm SO glad Brent is okay. That's scary stuff.

Jeremy said...

Glad Brent wasn't hurt worse. How terrifying though.

emily ballard said...

Yikes. It seems so much more real to see the smashed Honda. And the blood.

Everyone I've told has the same image I did. . . of an ambulance pulling up to the hospital and hitting Brent, sans car. I guess we've watched too much E.R. Glad he was in his car for this one.

Ryan said...

Brent, remember, one call that's all. Glad you're okay. At least you have some nice garb for next halloween.

Shelby said...

Wow, how scary. Thankfully you are both okay (you emotionally). Happy Thanksgiving.

De'dy Meng said...

Oh my gosh Bridge! We are glad Brent is okay. You are a strong woman. That is crazy that that happened. I hope you had a great thanksgiving.

KATIE HOFHEINS said...

That's so crazy. Glad to hear everything is ok

Brad K. said...

Brent, I'm glad that you are ok.

Debra said...

crazy crazy crazy! so glad he's okay. What a story! Hope your enjoying your hollidays!

ali said...

Yikes. So happy everyone's OK.

ferardandy said...

that is so scary! i bet you were so freaked out bridgett! poor brent! and poor lil honda:(

Allison said...

oh my goodness bridgette, I am so glad he is okay. I probably would have lost it getting that call. Those pictures look so bad! Goodness...

LHosfelt said...

Wow, Brent is pretty lucky. We're glad he is okay. After we heard about the accident, I told Kaylen that she needed to pray for Brent because he was hurt in a car accident. Almost every night since then she still includes him in her prayers and says, "I'm thankful for Uncle Brent to not get hit by a car." So let him know she's praying for his continued safety!

Jesse C said...

Wow, so scary. We're glad it wasn't worse for you Brent.

Ramanda said...

I can't help but think that this experience will make him that much better of a doctor. Glad it wasn't any worse. Take care, you guys!